Re: html code in <script>

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:03:48 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

Paul Kieffer wrote:

> This webpage:
>
> www.ucog.org/news1.php?strArticle=NEWS/2007-10-20.htm

The page is invalid XHTML, which means it is also invalid under Appendix
C rules.  If this were served as XHTML, it would need a CDATA section
around the script; you could also use entities to protect the "<", etc.
  If it were served as proper HTML, best practice would be to put an
HTML comment around the script content.  None of these options are
available under Appendix C rules (you cannot use entities to protect
scripts in HTML as they are implicitly CDATA sections), so you must have
the script out of line.

By the way, I am pretty sure that document.write on the currently

My advise would be to revert to HTML 4.01 and use HTML comments to
protect the scripts against earlier browsers.  Many people think that
Appendix C (serving XHTML as text/html) was a bad idea; it relies on
certain non-compliances that are common in text/html browsers.

--
David Woolley