Re: code, samp, kbd, var

On 5/14/07, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:

[..]

>  > var is one of the semantic uses for italics.  Sure, we could probably
>  > drop it in favour of <i>, but then you and others would be complaining
>  > even more about us creating a presentational language.
>
> This I don't understand at all : what is "a semantic use for italics" ???
> Italics are simply a highly stylised version of a base font; what has
> such a concept to do with a document markup language ?

Sorry, but didn't Lachlan write: "var is one of the semantic uses for italics"?
You seem to have quoted him as saying: "a semantic use for italics"

And if you ever have to 'mark up a document' you'd know that you need
/something/ to say that this section should be in italics, or oblique,
type. I realise that this isn't relevant to HTML (HTML in the sense
you're discussing anyway), but you said "what has such a concept to do
with a document markup language?" and that's a bit more general that
just HTML :)

--

Stephen Stewart