Re: Legacy elements (was : Complex Table Examples)

David Woolley wrote:

>> Let the creation of dialects be so simple that each discipline
>> can generate its own, without needing to burden core HTML
>
> This is div/span HTML, which I don't believe that you want.

It's about finding a subset that is generic enough, without being too
generic...which, admittedly, is no small endeavour.

> But, at least for var, I would suggest that most authors ought to use at
> various times.  I'd also suggest that at least half authors writing in a
> commercial context will need to use the kbd and sample concepts at some
> time.

The argument brought against subdivision of different cases of <i>,
however, was: do authors today actually bother doing this? Yes, they
ought to, and I myself try to use them...but applying the same logic and
burden of proof that the WG seems to place on those other elements,
that's not enough. Again, I think this is more about arguing the
arbitrary process used, not necessarily those elements themselves.

> Exactly, but that does affect how authors use HTML, and you are making a
> case in terms of how they actually use HTML, rather than how they should
> use it.

 > If you exclude semantic elements simply because few people use them when
 > the context demands, one does, pretty much, end up with presentational
 > HTML.

That's the argument that's prevailed on this list in those other
discussions. That, and how WYSIWYG tools could never force authors
towards using clearer semantics.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/