Re: Cleaning House

At 12:09 PM 5/6/2007 +0100, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

>Just to clarify, the "someone" is Murray himself. But I think he's wrong
>about the intended meaning of <i>, since when movie titles, species, and
>foreign phrases are italicized that is meant to distinguish them from
>surrounding text but not to emphasize (stress) them.

We seem to be a having a real problem with semantics.

Italics are a form of emphasis in Western publishing. As are bold type and
underlined type.
Using any of these forms of emphasis will tend to distinguish the affected
text from the
surrounding text. By the way, quoting and indenting are other forms of
emphasis.

Even so, I would tend to use <i> for movie titles, species and foreign phrases.
I would like to have some widely recognized CLASS values to adorn my <i>
elements to assign meaning.