Re: predefined class names (was Getting beyond the ping pong match)

On May 6, 2007, at 12:31 AM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> [...]
>
>> you presented a completely hypothetical example without any evidence
>> to show that it actually happens in reality.
>>
>> It would really help if the people who are objecting to the
>> predefined
>> class names could find real world evidence to support their claims of
>> clashes, and explain precisely what real practical problems can occur
>> from it.
>
> I looked at the first 20 results of
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22class=copyright%22>. Three of them
> contained actual results: <http://www.csmrobotics.com/
> copyright.html> and
> <http://cars.uk.msn.com/Photo_Gallery/photogallery.aspx?cp-
> documentid=477037>
> seem to use it more or less as Web Apps 1.0 currently defines it. But
> <http://www.munchfonts.com/HTML/additional.html> appears to be
> exactly what
> Jukka suggested might be out there.

This searches for the words "class" and "copyright" so it is probably
predisposed to find demo examples rather than real use. Note also
that the example you cited uses class="copyright" in accordance with
Web Apps 1.0's definition at the bottom of the page for the copyright
notice, in addition to using it in a demo of how one might style
something by class. I don't think developer tutorials make very
compelling counter-examples.

> However, given that the Web allegedly consists of billions of
> dopcuments,
> what do a few such cases mean? Surely this isn't thorough enough
> material to
> base a spec on, no matter which side of this particular sub-debate
> you're on.

I agree it's good to do more thorough research on proposed use of
predefined class names.

Regards,
Maciej