Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

* Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>>
>>> I know you have pages discussing copyright but do you really use
>>> class='copyright' for something other than copyright notices?
>>
>> I don't think my actual usage matters the least here. I simply presented
>> a plausible example.
>
>No, you presented a completely hypothetical example without any evidence
>to show that it actually happens in reality.

Whether something has already occured in practise is irrelevant to
whether the event occuring in practise is in itself plausible. If
you cannot show that the example is not a possibility in reason, you
should retract your claim.

>It would really help if the people who are objecting to the predefined
>class names could find real world evidence to support their claims of
>clashes, and explain precisely what real practical problems can occur
>from it.

It is up to those proposing such changes to the HTML standard to make
a clear proposal of the changes and build consensus around the idea in
the HTML community. So far I have not seen anyone doing either.

The "WHATWG" draft contains mostly rubbish. I cannot tell, for example,
whether <div class=copyright>... is allowed, what the restrictions on
the elements content are, and what implementations may infer from that.
In one place it says I may use any value, then it says this particular
value "must only" be used on some elements, without ever saying what
"must only" might mean. [1]

Further, it says "The copyright class name indicates that the element
contains the copyright for the document." I do not understand what it
means for an element to contain copyright, it's like saying class=love
indicates the element contains love, or love "for the document".

If we follow the draft we actually find that the burden of explaining
what real practical problems can occur is on the proponents of the idea,
"User agents should not derive particular meanings from class attribute
values that are neither defined by this specification nor registered in
the ['WHATWG'] Wiki." I then suggest the proponents about the problems.

As for real world examples, a simple search for class=copyright on
Google gives as the first HTML code result:

  <TD class=copyright noWrap align=left width="60%">Last update:
    <!-- #BeginDate format:Sw1 -->12 March, 2004<!-- #EndDate -->
  </TD>

Using this method it is trivial to find many examples where "copyright"
is used for elements part of a section that deals with document status
information, parts of what one might consider copyright statements,
links of the form