Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

On May 5, 2007, at 23:30, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> When an author used class="copyright" for whatever reason (styling,
> scripting, documentation), we have no right to infer that he meant
> semantics specified for this attribute years later in a draft.

When Google started inferring authority from links, did they ask
anyone if they had the right?

> (For example, in my page about intellectual rights, I may well have
> marked parts _discussing_ copyright issues with such an attribute,

I know you have pages discussing copyright but do you really use
class='copyright' for something other than copyright notices? Do you
expect the usage of class='copyright' for something other than
copyright notices to be a common practice to a degree that it would
be unreasonable to assume that class='copyright' marks a copyright
notice?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi