Re: Getting beyond the ping pong match (was RE: Cleaning House)

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Dão Gottwald wrote:

> Umm. You consider enriching the semantics of markup "by accident" a bug, not
> a feature? Even if the author added class="copyright" for styling purposes,
> what's the problem with telling the user agent and thereby the user that
> there's copyright information?

When an author used class="copyright" for whatever reason (styling,
scripting, documentation), we have no right to infer that he meant
semantics specified for this attribute years later in a draft.

(For example, in my page about intellectual rights, I may well have marked
parts _discussing_ copyright issues with such an attribute, with no intent
of saying that they contain information relating to the copyright to the
page itself.)

Considering all the proposed predefined class names, the possibility of
clashes is very real.