Re: Cleaning House

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 11:09:45 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> consumers are not needed. If you pull "semantic" markup from your
> sleeve, the consumer has no way of knowing what you mean without a prior
> agreement.

They know that there is something special, which is all that using
italics give them, so they don't lose out by the use of tighter semantic
  markup.  However some of them, and particularly tools (including
translation tools) can actually use the semantics, so they gain a
benefit without an apparent loss.

(I'm ignoring the gratuitous use of italics that might occur in
advertising copy.)