Re: Cleaning House

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 10:55:47 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Because XSLT can't operate on things that are not well-formed XML?  That
> would be most of the web, last I checked.

I think you are confusing the tag soup issue with the presentational one
here.  XSLT works on parse trees rather than serialisation, and can
output HTML serialisations.  There may be some subtleties in building a
compatible parse tree from HTML, but I cannot think of one other than
the need to generate CDATA sections for script and style, at the moment.

I'd therefore suggest a generalisation of XSLT to well formed HTML is
not difficult and tag soup resolution is a different problem.