Re: Cleaning House

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 10:44:56 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Philip & Le Khanh wrote:

> Microsoft Word is a text editor. We are discussing an HTML editor,
> which is a totally different kettle of fish, as I'm sure you'd
> agree.

Microsoft Word is a lot more than a text editor.  It has had styles,
allowing semantic markup, for more than 15 years.  The styles even give
benefits to people who use them that are not common in web browsers,
like automatic table of contents generation and automatic heading numbering.

Unfortunately using the B button for headings is still common, as is the
use of hard page breaks instead of keep with next and the use of tabs
instead of hard newlines.