Re: Control Text-file Embedding in HTML-docs

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:25:28 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:51:35AM +0200, Due Per-VCW437 wrote:

> A picture file (file.jpg) can be embedded directly in HTML-docs. If the
> picture file changes the changes take effect
> everywhere it is used.

The purpose of HTML is to mark up text. An image is something added to
the text to support it and can't sanely be included
inline. (i.e. there are fundamental differences).

> Why not make it equally simple to embed a text-file without being boxed
> and scroll-bars added ?

It is (although I don't like the method). As I previously mentioned,
its down to browser support for handling object in a sane way given
the available of the CSS overflow property, and not an indication that
HTML needs presentational attributes added.

(and that isn't accounting for templating/include systems which can
generate a document based on common context)