Re: Control Text-file Embedding in HTML-docs

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:36:16 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 02:33:02PM +0200, Due Per-VCW437 wrote:

> 1. HTML-file. Wants to embed a text-file and get its content printed in
> the HTML-document.
> 2. TEXT-file. A text-file which must be embedded in the HTML.

> 1. Many browsers shows an embedded text-file in a box with scroll bars.

I assume this is discussing the object element. At the moment, I don't
see any reason why a browser should render a frame around an <object
type="text/plain">. The CSS specification includes the
height/width/overflow properties should a frame be wanted.

I think this problem would be better solved by having user agent
vendors handle objects that reference data types capable of being
handled natively by the browser do so in a fashion more consistent
with other HTML elements ... and not by adding attributes to HTML that
control presentation.