Re: abbr and acronym

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA <leandro.dutra@corp.orolix.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:31:09 -0300
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Em Sáb, 2007-03-24 às 17:46 +0000, Patrick H. Lauke escreveu:
> Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA wrote:
> > 	I use both the abbr and the acronym extensively.  What is the reasoning
> > for not retaining acronym in XHTML 2?
> All acronyms are just a subset of abbreviations, so there's no need for
> an extra element.

	Yes, but acronyms are pronounced as words, while all-uppercase
non-acronym abbreviations are spelled out.  So with different acronym
and abbr elements a speech the user agent will know what to do, roughly
— obviously hybrids (eg JPEG) will need special treatment.

	For example, NATO and HTTP.  The first is an acronym, the second only
an abbreviation.  Am I getting anything wrong here?

	I found stuff such as
http://www.designdetector.com/archives/04/12/AcronymsAndAbbreviations.php, but now clear reasoning for simply removing acronym.  I would love to have pointers, even if it is just a thread in this or any other fora.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA <leandro.dutra@corp.orolix.com>
http://orolix.com.br./