Re: value attribute for li element

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:09:09 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

On 18 Jul 2007, at 16:46, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:22:39 +0200, David Dorward
> <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
>> I'm having trouble finding the definition for the value attribute
>> for li elements that appears in the XHTML Basic 1.1 Candidate
>> Recommendation (13 July 2007).
>

> It's in the driver; search for this bit of text:
>
> <!-- Add in the value attribute to the li element -->
> <!ATTLIST
> %li.qname;
>       value        %Number.datatype;         #IMPLIED

Sorry if I wasn't clear (I had found that bit of the DTD). I'm
looking for the description of the semantics it conveys. I'm
*guessing* that its a replacement for the start attribute (since I
can't think of anything else that a number might be used for in that
context), but the purpose of attributes should be expressed clearly
in a specification and shouldn't rely on inferences and guesswork.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/