Re: HTML5 script start tag should select appropriate content model according to src

On Apr 29, 2007, at 22:26, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> HTML has a remarkable large author base that extends beyond markup
>> purists.
>
> But does HTML5 have that base? Again, my previous point...the large
> author base can stick with HTML4.01.

HTML5 does not have that base yet, but to be successful a new version
of a given technology (in general) has to plug into and leverage the
network (in the network effect sense) grown around the old version.
That is, HTML5 should be defined in a way that allows the HTML 4.01
author base easily become the HTML5 author base. Personally, I think
it would be a serious design flaw is HTML5 couldn't satisfy the
authoring use cases of authors who use HTML 4.01 today. What would be
the point of knowingly designing a new version of HTML for non-
adoption by the existing author base?

This is like technology strategy 101.

--
Henri Sivonen