Re: SELECT with arbitrary input and buttons with values separated from text is possible?

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:02:05 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

David Dorward wrote:

> A bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer causes that browser to send Bar
> instead. (The usual work around is to use the name attribute to encode
> the data instead).

The other big problem with button is that it doesn't degrade
gracefully (although note that Lynx handled it correctly, and
probably had it in the field before Microsoft's broken version).

>> 2. Why HTML standart not describes combo box with possibility of any user
>> input.

It is at least conceivable that some GUI platforms didn't have
combo boxes at the time.  I've a feeling that that is still true
of Palmos.  It is highly desirable that HTML form features
can be implemted in native terms so that users are dealing with
familiar interfaces and browsers don't have to implement widget
libraries.