Re: Semicolon after entities

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:49:54 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> if Lynx supports entity
> references that are not defined in HTML4, and not supported by any other
> browser either, that's a bug in Lynx.

For some odd reason, Lynx displays "&par;" as "PP". It's not the only
browser that recognizes references for entities not defined in HTML 4.

It's not a bug, because there is no mandatory error processing. When a
browser sees, say, &emdash; or &MDASH;, it may - as far as HTML 4
specifications are concerned - apply any error handling it likes,
including implicit fix to &mdash;. We might even argue that this is the
_best_ error processing strategy in practice, since that's probably what
the author meant, and if it isn't, we have little odds of achieving
anything better using some other error handling. (I mildly disagree with
this argument of mine, but let's not go into this deeper.)

Supporting "proprietary" entities - i.e. something that doesn't consist of
guessing which of the standard entities was meant - is pragmatically
different, but not formally.

Besides, &par; or &emdash; isn't really an error by SGML rules, which is
what HTML 4 is nominally based on. They are just undefined. :-)