Re: SELECT with arbitrary input and buttons with values separated from text is possible?

From: J. King <jking@dark-phantasy.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:41:37 -0400
To: w3c@dv-life.ru
Cc: www-html <www-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:13:21 -0400, <w3c@dv-life.ru> wrote:

> 2. Why HTML standart not describes combo box with possibility of any user
> input. I know that
> exists number of suggest JavaScript scripts, that extends functionality
> of
> generic input, but
> some users may disable JS. Is it so hard to do like
> <select name=group_type allowunlisted>
> <option value=one>First</option>
> <option value=two>Second</option>
> </select>
> and give to user ability to select value or enter his own value?

In implementations of Web Forms 2, it is possible to do the reverse:
supply a text input with a list of suggested values.

See <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-datalist> for
details.  There are a few JavaScript implementations out there, and Opera
and (I think?) Safari have native implementations.

--
J. King
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/