Re: SELECT with arbitrary input and buttons with values separated from text is possible?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:41:37 +0200, J. King <jking@dark-phantasy.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:13:21 -0400, <w3c@dv-life.ru> wrote:
>
>> 2. Why HTML standart not describes combo box with possibility of any
>> user input.
[...]
> In implementations of Web Forms 2, it is possible to do the reverse:
> supply a text input with a list of suggested values.
>
> See <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-datalist>
> for details.  There are a few JavaScript implementations out there, and
> Opera and (I think?) Safari have native implementations.

And of course, XForms has been able to do this for years.

You can see it in action here:
	http://www.orbeon.com/ops/xforms-controls/
Click on "selection controls", and at the bottom, there is an entry box
for 'Country name' which is an open selection control.

A more exciting example is the Google Suggest page:
	http://www.orbeon.com/ops/xforms-google-suggests/
As you type, the 'allowable' values are dynamically updated to match what
you have already typed.

There are plugins for IE, server-side implementations (such as Orbeon,
above), and a Javascript implementation. There is a native implementation
in Firefox, as well as several other native implementations.

XForms is an integral part of XHTML2.

Steven Pemberton