Re: [XHTML1.1] Error in Conformance Definition document?

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> My basic concern here is that browser developers should be able to
> backport any minor new accessibility updates to XHTML 1.1

What's this talk about accessibility updates and why should XHTML 1.1,
which is essentially dead end, be updated at all?

> for example if tabindex
> is expanded to match Microsoft's and Mozilla's implementation.

The tabindex attribute, whatever reasons there might be for it, is not an
accessibility feature. Quite the opposite. Its existence encourages
authors into writing pages so that they have odd tabbing order, confusing
many users, instead of designing pages so that the default tabbing order
matches users' intuitive expectations.

Besides, I don't see how the draft new XHTML 1.1 would affect tabindex the
least. Neither can I see a list of changes between XHTML 1.1 versions (or
"editions"). Well, differences between HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 or between
XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 have never been listed down (the "Changes"
sections in the specifications mention some differences but give fairly
strongly the impression that _all_ differences have been mentioned), so it
would be unrealistic to see accurate diffs in "editions".