tags vs elements (was: Re: [ot] Re: [XHTML 2.0] Only one emphasis tag)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:47:59 +0200
To: "David Latapie" <david@empyree.org>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:23:55 +0200, David Latapie <david@empyree.org>
> <strong>Some text</strong>). So tag is the right word. But thank you for
> pointing out Anne's article, it is very useful.

No it isn't. I guess I should update my article. Moving this thread to
www-html as www-html-editor is clearly not the right list.

Tags are only relevant if you're discussing source code or authoring
requirements. If you're explicitly talking about the "<p> element start
tag" or something. Otherwise you should just refer to them as elements. As
in: "The <i> element indicates italics."

(Using < and > for lack of markup in e-mails...)

Anne van Kesteren