Re: [XHTML 2.0] Only one emphasis tag

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:54:30 +0200, David Latapie <david@empyree.org> wrote:
>> -- <em role="0">    default
>> -- <em role="+1">   equivalent to em
>> -- <em role="+2">   equivalent to strong
>> -- <em role="-1">   less important, may be rendered as font-size:smaller
>
> This proposal doesn't cover nesting.

Why not? Isn't the possibility of nesting an immediate consequence of the
syntax? Or do you mean that the _meaning_ of nesting is left unspecified?
If <em> means emphasis with respect to the environment (or, syntactically,
the parent element), then obviously
would make foo emphasized twice with respect to bar. Whether this would be
semantically equivalent to
   <em role="+2">foo</em> bar
might need to be defined. That is, do the role="..." attributes express
something that is additive?

I must admit that the role="..." stuff looks like a pointless game.
Instead of defining an attribute with suggestive or descriptive name,
an almost dummy name is used.

names and more abstract semantics as well as an attribute that lets the
author declare a block element as more or less important. But I'm afraid
that would be far too practical - useable and implementable.