Re: Identifying end tags

Shlomi Asaf schreef:
> i shrank the page from 210Kb to 52Kb
> i don't use one single HTTP-Request. each HTTP-Request cost 0.2
> seconds. i saved 7 HTTP-Requests, so i saved 1.4 seconds.

This is exactly my point. What kind of excessive cruft in class names
and presentational elements were on that page that you could reduce the
page to a quarter (!!!) of its original size? That means the styling
hooks markup outweighed the content at least four-to-one, and probably more!

If instead sensible markup would have been used, the page weight could
probably have been reduced even more. After all, the ‘class=""’
attribute already adds 8 bytes, and all the <div>s present only for
presentational purposes even more.

So, do not use <div class="tree red font11px"><div
class="something"><div class="something something"><span
class="qq"></span></div> but instead just <ul class="tree

As you can see in that last example, changing the ‘navigation’ classname
to ‘nav’ would have virtually no effect on the total page size. While in
the first example, short class names do help a little, but making the
markup more sensible would do so even more.

Rest assured that I know all about running sites in ‘real’ environments
:). I do care about page weight, but shortening class names to the point
that they become unreadable is clearly not the best means to achieve
that goal.

~Grauw