Re: Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:16:17AM -0700, Jonathan Worent wrote:

> Currently CSS is the only way to achieve more than two
> levels of emphasis.

No, it is the only way to do so in current browsers without user
modifications.

> I don't know of any browsers (assistive technologies included) that
> <em>really emphasized</em>.

I don't know any that interpret <em level="2"> as such either.

> Also, as this start to get more and more emphasized (ex: indicating

Perhaps that's a good thing. It avoids people just using level 1 and
level 5 and ignoring all the ones in between.

> This also does not provide a way to indicate
> de-emphasis.

So perhaps it would be worth adding an <unimportant> element or
similar.

> However, since this is a new spec, and it has been
> stated that it is not intended to be backwards
> compatible, I believe this is a golden opportunity for
> real improvement.

Yes, but I think explicitly mentioning nested ems would be a better
improvement then some set number of levels.