Re: Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

--- David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 06:31:45AM -0700, Jonathan
> Worent wrote:
> > One of the reasons for suggesting this is so the
> level
> > of emphesis is explicit.
>
> How is <em level="2" /> more explicit than <em><em
> /></em>?
>
> > Rather that relying on css which may or may not be
> interpreted.
>
> There is no reliance here. It simply describes a way
> to tell the user
> about certain semantics in a document. There is no
> reason why a user
> agent could not do that by default.
>
> --
> David Dorward
> http://dorward.me.uk

Currently CSS is the only way to achieve more than two
levels of emphasis. I don't know of any browsers
(assistive technologies included) that interpret
<em>really emphasized</em>. Also, as this start to get
more and more emphasized (ex: indicating an escalating
This also does not provide a way to indicate
de-emphasis.

If this were just an update of (x)html (eg xhtml 1.2
or html 4.2) I would have suggested something along
those lines; saying that it be required that more
emphasis be given to nested em's. I had <em
level="2">strongly</em> ::wink:: considered that.
However, since this is a new spec, and it has been
stated that it is not intended to be backwards
compatible, I believe this is a golden opportunity for
real improvement.

    Jonathan Worent
     Webmaster
    www.epfmc.org