Re: [BULK] - Re: [XHTML2] Spirit of "1.1.3. XHTML 2 and Presentation" (PR#7759)

At first, Ian's request seems perfectly reasonable, and succinctly put.

Upon closer examination, there is not such a tension between the text of
1.1.3 and the presence of the style attribute, any more than there is a
tension between the text of 1.1.3 and the <style> element. Although
section 1.1.3. does indicate that XHTML 2 is "removing all presentation
elements", the style attribute is not a presentation element. It's not
even a presentation attribute, in the sense that "fontSize" or
"lineSpacing" would be presentation attributes. In other words, the
style attribute's *value* contains stylesheet information bound to a
single element, much in the same way that the <style> element's textual
content contains stylesheet information mapped to individual elements
within the document. Presentation attributes, in my opinion, would be
those in which the attribute name represented a style predicate, with
the attribute value representing the value of that style predicate.

The style attribute, on the other hand, contains a value that consists
of many presentation predicates and their values. The style attribute is
no more than locally-bound information transferred from the <style>
element; hence it is consistent with the stated goal of 1.1.3 of
"subordinating all presentation to style sheets", as the style attribute
content is really a mini-stylesheet.

Ian does not seem to be making the same request regarding the <style>
element, and as such his request would seem more inconsistent than the
tension between 1.1.3 and the presence of the style attribute.

On the other hand, this question is likely to come up more in the
future, and the working group ignores it now at their peril---putting
text in the recommendation would be preemptive against answer the
question again and again after the document is finalized.

Lastly, I'd like to personally express my desire to retain the style
attribute. With newer AJAX applications, it is many times extremely
useful, if not necessary, to send style information to a browser for
small updated within a document. The lack of a style attribute would
mean that dynamically updating the style of a single element within a
document would require somehow modifying an external stylesheet or the
internal stylesheet in the document's <head>.

Garret