Re: hreflang

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:58:36 +0100
To: Oskar Welzl <lists@welzl.info>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Oskar Welzl schreef:
> I still believe that styling links with CSS is the main way of
> reasonably using metainfo like @hreflang; you know, rotating little
> pizzas after links to italian documents ...

> My question ist:
> Am I simply wrong about this? Is there a version of CSS on its way that
> will combine the function of ~= and |= and understand qualifiers before
> XHTML2 will see the light of day?

Good point, I thought |= worked like that, but it doesn’t.

I suppose that a couple of cleverly crafted ^= or *= rules can be used
to match the languages and qualifiers. In practice it is maybe more
likely that document authors will use only single language-identifiers
for @hreflang.

[hreflang$=",nl"] {
    background-image: url('dutch_flag.png');