Re: Question about XHTML 2.0 and content type

On Thursday 2006-02-02 06:55 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Laurens Holst wrote:
> definition. (Allowing text/html for XHTML 1.0 postulates that user agents
> use the DOCTYPE declaration or similar methods to decide which HTML the
> stuff is, and there is no reason why this could not be extended to
> XHTML 2.0, XHTML 3.2, etc.)

No.  It means that in practice user agents don't care about versions of
HTML -- not least because no specification (to my knowledge) has ever
said what caring about versions of HTML would mean.  (What behavior
should an unknown version cause?  What behavior should an element not in
the version cause when the UA supports that element in a later version?
when the UA doesn't support that element at all?  etc.)  In other words,
in practice, HTML has levels, not versions.

-David