Re: Question about XHTML 2.0 and content type

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> In any case, XHTML 1.0 is a compatibility specification for HTML 4.01
>> expressed as XML.
>
> That's what it says (though without the word "compatibility"), but it
> isn't true. There are several silent changes, and XHTML 1.0 is
> incompatible with HTML 4.01: no XHTML 1.0 document is an HTML 4.01
> document

OK, but an XHTML 1.0 document can be a tag soup document if you follow
the guidelines, and thus work as expected. Whatever the standards and
SGM say, tag soup is what works in the browsers today, and what browsers
have to implement if they want to support HTML on the web.

So I don’t see the problem.

Jim Ley wrote:
> Only for those documents which follow the guidelines set forth in
> appendix C may it be done, since Appendix C. is contradictory (I am
> still awaiting responses to my issues on the contradictions) it is not
> actually possible to follow them, and use stylesheets for example.

I looked at the specification, and I couldn’t find any contradiction in
the guidelines for stylesheets. I could find an omission though, it
doesn’t mention anything about whether <link> or <?xml-stylesheet?> has
to be used for embedded stylesheets (though an example contains the
latter). However, common sense says that HTML UAs won’t recognise the
<?xml-stylesheet?>, so the first has to be used. (On my website, I
actually have <link>s when served as text/html, and <?xml-stylesheet?>s
for application/xhtml+xml, but <link>s would have worked as well.)

It seems just nit-picking for an argument not to use XHTML, imho. It
works, today, and I’m following the guidelines without problems. (Well,
apart from using XHTML 1.1, and only having xml:lang, and maybe one or
two other things which I don’t care about, as I’m serving as text/html
only for backwards compatibility purposes.)

So again, I don’t see the problem.

~Grauw