Re: this needs to be changed in the validator

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 09:00:40AM -0500, Jasper Magick wrote:
> I think you should add a small modification to the markup validator so
> it will call any document with a doctype of xhtml 1.1 and served as
> text/html invalid.

Being served with the wrong content-type doesn't render a document
invalid. As far as I know, it doesn't even render it non-conformant
with the XHTML 1.1 specification.

It may put it in conflict with RFC 2854, but that shouldn't stop it
being marked as valid. Possibly it might be worth the validator
emitting a warning, or possibly this is a job for Unicorn rather then
the validator.

Whichever way it is, this is more a question for the QA team then the
HTML working group. I've CCed the mailing list for the markup
validator.