Re: Mapping XML to XHTML - your recommendation for handling attributes?

> This is relevant to this list, now that there are features in XHTML 2

It's not relevant, because it was a how-to question.

> to do exactly what Roger is talking about. Take a look at RDFa, which
> is also available independently from XHTML 2:

That's worrying, as it suggests XHTML 2 has lost focus and RDFa is the
new XML schemas.  This is how standards die.  Soon the only XML application
will be XHTML and that will be the new extensible markup language.

Following is off topic.

> > >    Now suppose <aircraft_elevation> has an attribute:
> > >    <aircraft_elevation units="meters">12000</aircraft_elevation>
> > >    How do you recommend I map the attribute?

If one takes an XML view, I think this should either be left as the
application specific dialect, rather than converted to the more presentation
oriented, XHTML dialect, and transformed, for rendering, with XSL,
or, assuming that dl is appropriate (which is borderline) it should
be represented as <dd><costello:aircraft_elevation units="metres">12000
</aircraft_elevation></dd>, with appropriate namespace declarations.

This should not be done on browsers that only understand XHTML when served
as text/html.

> > That depends a great deal on what the document is trying to say and
> > the context in which it is placed. It doesn't have a great deal to do

Exactly, and there wasn't enough to determine that in this case.