Re: Mapping XML to XHTML - your recommendation for handling attributes?

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:16:06 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 05:31:46PM -0400, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>    I am mapping an XML document to XHTML.
>    Leaf nodes in the XML document I map to an XHTML <dl> element, e.g.,
>    <aircraft_elevation>12000</aircraft_elevation>
>    I map to:
>    <dl class="aircraft_elevation">
>          <dt>Aircraft Elevation</dt>
>          <dd>12000</dd>
>    </dl>

The for XHTML 1.x is rather vague, but erring on the side of caution
leads to the question "Is the *definition* of 'Aircraft Elevation'
really 12000?".

>    Now suppose <aircraft_elevation> has an attribute:
>    <aircraft_elevation units="meters">12000</aircraft_elevation>
>    How do you recommend I map the attribute?

That depends a great deal on what the document is trying to say and
the context in which it is placed. It doesn't have a great deal to do
with the subject of this mailing list though (which is the design of
(X)HTML).