Re: sub/sup (was Re: samp, kbd, var)

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:13:57 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

magick wrote:

>> Along the same lines, what about sub and sup? To me, they seem
>> dangerously close to presentational markup, unless someone can
>> enlighten me as to what the semantic meaning of these two elements is...
>
> Why stop there, why not add these:
>
> <strong> = Makes things bold
> <em> = Makes things italic
> <ins> = Underlines stuff
> <del> = Adds strikethrough

Because they are not presentational, as they denote meaning. Even if
something isn't visually rendered as bold, the meaning of strong is
still unambiguous and relates solely to the meaning...which would be
rather obvious if you understood the difference between presentational
and semantic, which you've just demonstrated you don't, I'm afraid.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/