Re: samp, kbd, var

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:40:22 +0100
To: XHTML-Liste <www-html@w3.org>

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> It's not just a matter of the difficulty of finding the semantic pieces;
> more importantly, if the markup system is complex, people won't use the
> complex features or they will use them inconsistently and against the
> specifications.

But, for a markup language to be useful in marking up complex and
multifaceted real-world content, there may be no other way than to
create a complex language specification.

One question that usually comes up in my mind is: why does compsci stuff
like samp, kbd, var warrant its own element, and there are no
equivalent, very specific elements for other disciplines (e.g.
chemistry, to cross over with my other question regarding sub/sup)? What
makes compsci stuff so special?

Patrick H. Lauke