Re: samp, kbd, var

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>> Some automatic translation programs recognize <samp> and/or <code> markup
>> and treat the element's content as something that shall not be translated.
>
> Wasn't XHTML 2.0 supposed to be NOT backwards compatible, or do you mean
> there are automatic translation programs who currently recognise XHTML 2.0
> already?

XHTML 2.0 is supposed to be incompatible with any previous version of HTML
(so that it would be more appropriate and less confusing to give it a
completely new name and start the version numbering of the new language
from 1.0, but version number confusion is an HTML tradition, starting from
HTML 2.0). What I was referring to was that <samp> and <code> elements are
examples of simple and meaningful markup that has some actual software
support beyond mere rendering issues. The more complex a markup language
you design, with semantics hidden obscurely into attributes, the more probable
is that it will remain effectively as a system of text processing macros:
people use markup to achieve the default rendering that they associate
with markup elements - but software developers won't use the semantic
information for anything.

It's not just a matter of the difficulty of finding the semantic pieces;
more importantly, if the markup system is complex, people won't use the
complex features or they will use them inconsistently and against the
specifications.