Re: [Structure Module] Renaming the <html> element to more semantic name

From: <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:29:07 -0800 (PST)
To: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

> Hi,
> In the thread on renaming the html element type
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2005Nov/0061.html), Sjoerd
> Visscher wrote:
> I see only one good reason to change this, and that is to get rid of the
> html/head/body structure. The latest WD makes a big step towards putting
> meta data in the content. This makes it possible to drop the head
> completely.
> It is not necessary to get rid of the head, just because it is possible to
> do this. Some people may want a clean separation between metadata and
> content, as described in the Head-Body design pattern
> (http://www.xmlpatterns.com/HeadBodyMain.shtml). If there are use cases
> for
> this pattern, why prevent people from using it?

Given the direction XHTML 2 has taken with mixing meta data more with the
content, this argument can go one of two ways: either the head-body design
pattern is a bad one (with which I would agree) or is is a good one. If
the latter, then it should also be possible to use the head-body
separation with other elements. (why prevent people from using it?)

Sjoerd Visscher

PS. In the mean time, let people get used to the idea that xml is not the
ultimate data/document format, as there's clearly a need to have
attributes that can contain structured data, not just strings.