Re: [Structure Module] Renaming the <html> element to more semantic name

sjoerd@w3future.com wrote:

>This also makes it a lot easier to compose documents from smaller parts.
>And there's no need to specify separate ways to apply meta data to a
>document or to part of a document. (Which makes sense as an html document
>can just as well be meant as part of a bigger document.)

On the other hand, the semantics of quite a few things become that much
more difficult. Take, for example, CSS. Suppose you have this document:
<section>
  <section id="first">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="somestyles.css" type="text/css"/>
    <!-- content -->
  </section>
  <section id="second">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="morestyles.css" type="text/css"/>
    <!-- content -->
  </section>
</section>

Which styles apply to what, exactly? Is a "*" rule in somestyles.css
implicitely converted to "#first *"? Would this affect specifity?
I realize that this question is not really in the scope of HTML, but it
still should be considered if the head isn't justified as a place for
stuff that characterizes the document - anchors it within the larger
structure so to say.

A better example:
<section>
  <section id="first">
    <link rel="next" href="freaky.xhtml"/>
    <!-- content -->
  </section>
  <section id="second">
    <link rel="next" href="funky.xhtml"/>
    <!-- content -->
  </section>
</section>

Should this be allowed? Is the first link only a continuation of the
that section or the document? Should it, therefore, refer to #second?
What are the semantics of this page.
Personally I like the separation that head and body give us.

Sebastian Redl