Re: [Structure Module] Renaming the <html> element to more semantic name

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:27:51 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

On 11/13/05, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Ai / Hiro wrote:
> > We markup a title with <title/> just because it is a "title". I think we
> > should markup a document with <document/> just because it is a
> > "document" in terms of the meanings of the content.
>
> I don't think so, it says nothing about what type of document it is.
> Would you suggest the same root element for a DocBook document?  I think
> <document> is far too generic and that <html> is the most appropriate
> choice.

Ok, let's stop right there. There are lots of different titles and
lots of different paragraphs, but we can all use title and p.
Namespaces are what says what kind of document it is much as it
specifies everything else. The argument that you have to doubly encode
that information just doesn't fly with me.

--

Orion Adrian