Re: [Structure Module] Renaming the <html> element to more semantic name

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:17:58 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ai / Hiro <i@orz.cc>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:24:13 +0100, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

>> We markup a title with <title/> just because it is a "title". I think
>> we should markup a document with <document/> just because it is a
>> "document" in terms of the meanings of the content.
>
> I don't think so, it says nothing about what type of document it is.

And neither does <title> say anything about what kind of title it is. So
your argument doesn't hold water. I agree with mr. Hiro here. The <html>
element is semantically wrong and does not, since the introduction of XML
Namespaces, give any information we don't already have to the structure.

   <document xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

says that this is a "document" written in the "XHTML vocaublary".

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/