Re: Comments on the XHTML 2.0 WD

From: Maxwell Terpstra <terpstra@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 12:21:57 -0700
Cc: www-html@w3.org
To: ACJ <ego@acjs.net>

On 28-May-05, at 10:05, ACJ wrote:

> I understand the difference in type of lists, and that is exactly why
> I've recently started pondering (I was a fan when I first read about
> it)
> whether navigation should be one of them—it seems to me "navigation"
> says something about its contents on a different level.
I agree.  The current list types have important structural differences
- <dl> presents a list of data pairs, <ol> presents a list whose
ordering is important, and <ul> presents a "grab-bag" list.  <nl> is
just the same as <ul> in this respect, differring only in it's role in
the document.  Now that there exists an attribute to express this
"role," there seems to be no reason to create an <nl> element.

--Maxwell Terpstra