Re: About XHTML 2.0

Orion Adrian wrote:
> them all. They really do fall under the same classification as <sup>
> and <sub>. Still <seperator /> is necessary.

There's one crucial difference between <sup>/<sub> and
empty.

I thought that this was one of the major reasons to get rid of <br>
in favor to <l> element. This time, we're looking for separator
between elements instead of lines of text, but the same reasoning
still applies.

As I wrote in another post, every time a <hr> or <separator> is
used, a <h> element could be instead to give the following part a
name. It's part of the presentation that the name of the part is not
displayed (and some authors think that because the name wouldn't get
displayed by default presentation, no name needs to be encoded in
the DOM either).

The another possible use case for the <separator> is inside
navigation lists:

   <nl>
     <label />
     <li />
     <li />
     <separator />
     <li />
   </nl>

But in this case, too, I feel that it would be better for
non-sighted person that <separator> would be replaced with a <label>
to give name to the items that follow in the next part. If the <nl>
content model doesn't allow multiple <label> element that's the
problem we need to fix. Hiding some header or label from the user or
replacing it with a line or with a couple of stars is just part of
the presentation, IMHO.

--
Mikko