RE: About XHTML 2.0

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:02:44 +0100
To: "'Orion Adrian'" <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

> Above you're using CSS to create semantic meaning using presentation.
> So how would you represent a light seperator without CSS in a
> user agent that doesn't support it? How would you represent
> it to a blind user?

I completely agree with you. A good example of the use of <separator> is
within the new navigation lists:

    <label />
    <li />
    <li />
    <separator />
    <li />

A sighted user is quite used to the extra help that horizontal lines in
menus give them, as a way of keeping one set of options apart from another.
Simply using a CSS border to separate the groups would not actually be
semantically correct, since there *really is* a logical separation of the
items, rather than just a presentational separation. (And the logical
separation is not so strong that we could use two navigational lists.)

As you rightly point out, <separator> now allows us to provide the same
'clues' to blind users.

Mark Birbeck
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net