Re: XHTML Modularization and Tables...

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:47:12 +0200
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:

>It seems to me that the people worrying about RDF and news-clippings
>ought to be worrying about the fact that a significant new source of
>web content is not even using an XML or SGML language for their markup,
>even though that markup is of the sort that HTML is designed for
>(strong on structure, low on presentation).

I don’t know what the exact internal storage format of Wikipedia is, but
I do know that it would be plain impossible to go tell users to write
XHTML when authoring pages (including paragraphs and such). That would
have seriously hampered its success. The wikipedia format is designed to
be as WYSIWYG as possible within the limits of a plain text editor.

For the same reasons, popular forums like PHPBB also don’t use HTML markup.

~Grauw