Re: XHTML Page Break Suggestion

From: Edward Lass <elass@goer.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:40:19 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>

For your reading enjoyment...

A nice overview of the separation of presentation from structure:
http://molly.com/articles/markupandcss/2002-02-truelanguage1.php

And an introductory piece on print stylesheets:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/

And lastly, the CSS to do it:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_ref_print.asp

- Ed.

>>> andy <phil.andy.graves@gmail.com> 7/19/2005 6:27:52 AM >>>

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but why doesn't any HTML
spec have anything about page breaks written in it? Sometimes I just
need a hard break between specific paragraphs that I write, and all
flavors of HTML, including XHTML, don't include it. Sure I can just
create a whole new page, but sometimes that's just not as desirable,
or even easy (do you know exactly when your document is going to break
on a page printout, and when Firefox is going to split an image in
half?)

I think this would handle one of the two major issues as to why I'd
rather get the sometimes-available pdf version of a document over it's
HTML sibling. The only other issue is inline media, and I doubt that
will ever be properly handled in a single ml type file.

In conclusion, I think a page break tag in some later version of XHTML
would add more than it would take away.

-Andy

This message has been scanned by the NYS GOER WebShield.