XHTML Page Break Suggestion

From: andy <phil.andy.graves@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 06:27:52 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but why doesn't any HTML
spec have anything about page breaks written in it? Sometimes I just
need a hard break between specific paragraphs that I write, and all
flavors of HTML, including XHTML, don't include it. Sure I can just
create a whole new page, but sometimes that's just not as desirable,
or even easy (do you know exactly when your document is going to break
on a page printout, and when Firefox is going to split an image in
half?)

I think this would handle one of the two major issues as to why I'd
rather get the sometimes-available pdf version of a document over it's
HTML sibling. The only other issue is inline media, and I doubt that
will ever be properly handled in a single ml type file.

In conclusion, I think a page break tag in some later version of XHTML
would add more than it would take away.

-Andy