Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model and usability

Karl Dubost schreef:
>> You are kind of ignoring the more important bit here, namely that DFN
>> is also used for keyword indexing. If Google were a better bot, it
>> would use the <dfn> tags on pages to give them more weight, which they
>> have. Not just that. A small app that would simply list all DFNs on
>> that page with links to them would be very handy for a wiki page where
>> some stuff does not require a new page, for example.
>
> which means that you have to make the "id" attribute mandatory for this
> purpose. If I follow you, because a dfn alone would be useless?

Not really. We are talking about dynamic generation with e.g. XSLT here.
Automatically assigning IDs to sections or headings for that purpose is
quite trivial.

In no way does that make ID mandatory however. XPointer could be used as
well. And as said before, in print this can reference to page numbers.

> All the interesting comments made since the start shows that there is  a
> lack of
>
>     - practical examples
>     - implementation requirement
>     - semantic model definition
>     - use cases
>
> One or more of those items in the list in the specification and/or a
> best practices guide for XHTML 2.0. Because right now, many people
> (webmasters, users, etc) don't understand it, including me on many
> things. :)

It’s a working draft.

Also, I do think contributions in that form are appreciated...

>> No, obviously not. Referencing, however, is exactly what the web is
>> about, and I see DFN as just another means to do so.
>
> except that to know what part of the definition is useful to understand
> the term makes it very difficult without a container. Al  Gilmann made a
> very good comment accessibility wise for example.

Mwa, we are humans :).

> ;)
> Maybe a wiki project could be used to create the use case for each
> element on this element and that would be the start of a best  practice
> guide.

Sounds like a nice idea. I’m all for it.

~Grauw