Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model and usability

Le 05-07-05 à 12:34, Rob Mientjes a écrit :
> You are kind of ignoring the more important bit here, namely that DFN
> is also used for keyword indexing. If Google were a better bot, it
> would use the <dfn> tags on pages to give them more weight, which they
> have. Not just that. A small app that would simply list all DFNs on
> that page with links to them would be very handy for a wiki page where
> some stuff does not require a new page, for example.

which means that you have to make the "id" attribute mandatory for
this purpose. If I follow you, because a dfn alone would be useless?

Good: Another use case to add to the specification.

> ... It does have semantic meaning. The fact alone that a UA could say
> "hey punk, take a look at this word, for it's defined somewhere near
> it. You might want to know" makes it semantic :)

So is it a requirement for implementation for user agent?
Not said in the specification.

All the interesting comments made since the start shows that there is
a lack of

     - practical examples
     - implementation requirement
     - semantic model definition
     - use cases

One or more of those items in the list in the specification and/or a
best practices guide for XHTML 2.0. Because right now, many people
(webmasters, users, etc) don't understand it, including me on many
things. :)

> Like I said, it's useful enough. Don't use Laurens's aside remark
> regarding just the lack of a way to mark up the _explanation_ to
> undermine the whole essence of a DFN element. It's lacking, yeah, but
> it does not obsolete DFN at all.

ok. Fair enough at the light of the comments.

>>> Especially because it takes the text out of context, I don't think
>>> making glossaries based on this is a good idea, nor very useful.
>>>

> No, obviously not. Referencing, however, is exactly what the web is
> about, and I see DFN as just another means to do so.

except that to know what part of the definition is useful to
understand the term makes it very difficult without a container. Al
Gilmann made a very good comment accessibility wise for example.

>> If you can produce a dl/dt/dd glossary parsing a text for definition.
>> You gain time.
>>

> Agreed. DL is the only sensible way to do _that_, but again, it does
> not obsolete DFN.
>

>> Thanks Laurens for adding to the understanding. The Editors might
>> want to add examples to clarify the use cases.
>>

> Examples are always good. I believe the CSSWG has a complete new team
> just for composing examples ;)

;)
Maybe a wiki project could be used to create the use case for each
element on this element and that would be the start of a best
practice guide.

thanks again.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***