Re: Nesting <HTML>...</HTML> tag pairs

On Monday 21 February 2005 15:53, Rob Mientjes wrote:
> Well, consider that HTML == root. There is nothing outside of HTML.
> It's like the galaxy: you know there _has_ to be something, but there
> isn't. Not even another galaxy, as far as we know.  Also consider that
> IE wrongly implements HTML as a child of something bigger (* html
> anyone?), but that's CSS and thus OT.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, this is bad behaviour.

That's fair enough, and is what I expected. My question remains, though. Would
it be worth ... enhancing the spec to allow HTML documents to be nested?

First, many, if not most, browsers seem to behave in this fashion. I suspect
it's an off-shoot of implementing frames - each frame can be a separate
document, and browser writers may have simply extended this requirement to
apply to any containing object.

Second, converting a random MS Word (or Word Perfect, OpenOffice or other)
document, a text document or an HTML document requires non-trivial effort;
file formats are rarely openly defined. To do so (converting documents) on a
recurring basis is even less trivial, because there are no guarantees that
the source document will be consistent over time.

Granted, in an ideal world, every web page should be written perfectly from
scratch. Unfortunately, our world is not ideal and is wrought with
imperfections. Allowing HTML documents to be nested would make it easier for
people (some with no web site authoring abilities) to contribute to dynamic
web site.