Nesting <HTML>...</HTML> tag pairs

From: Rob Mientjes <robmientjes@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:53:20 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 03:35:51 +0000, Neal Murphy
<neal.p.murphy@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> Is this browser behavior 'proper'? If not, should it be? Yes, ideally the
> whole document should be consistent, but realities often treat ideals
> roughly. Should the spec allow nesting of <HTML>...</HTML> tag pairs so that
> any reasonable containing object can format and display an HTML document
> fairly independently of the rest of the page?

Well, consider that HTML == root. There is nothing outside of HTML.
It's like the galaxy: you know there _has_ to be something, but there
isn't. Not even another galaxy, as far as we know.  Also consider that
IE wrongly implements HTML as a child of something bigger (* html
anyone?), but that's CSS and thus OT.

As far as I'm concerned, this is bad behaviour.

PS: Neal, sorry for the double mail.
--
Cheers,
Rob.